Established since 1964, the National Conciliation Service (NCS) is the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme for the retail motor industry. The NCS is accredited by the Chartered Trading Standards Institution (CTSI) under the Consumer Disputes (Competent Authorities and Information) Regulations 2015.
In July 2015, the NCS received accreditation in compliance the Consumer Disputes (Competent Authorities and Information) Regulations 2015, and EU Directive (2013/11/EU) regarding alternative dispute resolution.
- is an independent service
- is free for consumers to use
- offers advice, mediation and arbitration or, exceptionally, adjudication
- accepts complaints between EU residents and subscribers to the NCS
The NCS handles a wide range of cases, including:
- service and repairs contracts of vehicles
- sale contracts of vehicles
- used cars
- lost deposits
Our current team of case handlers have more than 30 years’ experience in resolving disputes between the motor trade and its customers.
The NCS is a company limited by guarantee and is a non-profit making organisation.
The trade associations that subscribe to the National Conciliation Service are:
Conciliation and arbitration
- National Franchised Dealers Association
- Independent Garage Association
- Petrol Retailers Association
- National Association of Bodyshops
- Vehicle Builders and Repairers Association
- National Motorcycle Dealers Association
- National Association of Motor Auctions
- Cherished Numbers Dealers Association
- Motorcycle Industry Association
- National Tyre Distributors Association
- Independent Automotive Aftermarket Federation
- Federation of Engine Remanufacturers
- AutoCare Garages
- Battery Industry Association
Conciliation and adjudication